May 21, 2013

A Day at...The Naked Statue Park?!

Living in a country so far north of the equator has its drawbacks, including long, dark winters and streets covered in ice BUT when summer does eventually peak out its bright little head, you can bet we all jump at the opportunity! One thing I do appreciate about Norwegians is they seem to love being outside and when the sun shines, they don their trendiest clothes and flock to parks with picnics and blankets. Honestly, I felt like I was in a Renoir painting.




We ate a lunch and when it started to get too cloudy to lay on the grass and too windy to play badminton, we walked around. Since we were at the Vigeland Sculpture Park in Oslo, AKA the Naked Statue Park, walking around is always interesting. And, considering the abundance of nude statues, I'm always surprised by the large number of parents wandering about with their young, seemingly unfazed, children. Makes me wonder if all this North American shying away from nudity is for protection of children or, more realistically, for adults who don't know how to handle it. Regardless of your opinions on the matter, I should warn you that the next few pictures have some full statue nudity so continue at your own risk ;)

I've been to this park so many times, I feel like I know every statue's story personally, but that doesn't stop me from marveling at the amazing detail in each individual face and all the emotion depicted there. Not to mention that the statues are life sized if not larger, you can almost imagine them walking around at night when nobody's around, Night at the Museum style!

I hope you enjoy these lifestyle type blog posts and they inspire you to explore your own cities and see what they have to offer! I would highly recommend taking a stroll through Vigeland Park if you ever find yourself in this part of Norway.

xo Dani

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a lovely day at the park! Beautiful photos!

    xx,
    mashasmumbles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was such a beautiful day =)

    ReplyDelete